Using the most automated and effective wordpress plugins on your website is what all experienced and serious entrepreneurs use to squeeze every ounce of value and productive results.
One of the most important and effective wordpress plugins for your website is an SEO Plugin. One that helps you turn a long and tedious task of optimizing your content for much search engine love. Here are the two heavyweights in this class, Yoast SEO and All In One SEO WordPress Plugins.
Yoast SEO vs All In One SEO WordPress Plugins
As you will see below each one of these wordpress plugins have been downloaded over 23 Million times just to show you how popular these plugins are and for obvious reasons. They WORK!
I have highlighted some areas in each image indicating how many downloads and how many reviews, Last Update and Compatibility with your wordpress edition or not.
Why is this important ? Every Plugin you decide to use on your website, it should go through the same scrutiny in order to decide whether it will work for your website or not.
These are important areas you should always check for:
- Reviews – I personally like to read reviews to see what others are saying and what pros and cons there are with the plugin.
- Downloads – Obviously if they have 23 Million downloads there is not much to think about but most plugins don’t have these many downloads and when searching for a plugin you will find others that are just as effective and will work with your website.
- Last Update – Check to see when was the plugin last updated. In some cases you will see that the plugin might not have been updated as frequently and will not be compatible with your wordpress site version.
- Tip: If you already have plugins installed on your wordpress website then it is important to make sure that each plugin is compatible with each other. I have found that some are not compatible with each other specially when using mobile friendly plugins. So do your due diligence…It will payoff!
– VS –
There Are Thousands Of Free WordPress Plugins And Thousands More For Sale.
So, Which one should you use on your website ? This is a question often asked by many building a WordPress website and the answer is different for each application depending on the goal your trying to achieve and what type of website or blog you are building.
If your building a blog and your goal is to rank for a specific niche content then one of the plugins I recommend for building a Google friendly website is having a plugin that helps you with your SEO ( Search Engine Optimization ) like Yoast or All In One Plugins.
Here the image below is a behind the scenes look at what Yoast Plugin looks like and what benefits it is to your website.
You will notice the Title of Blog Post, the Permalink/URL to your Blog Post, the Meta Tags area and where your Focus Keyword goes.
The benefits to using a plugin like Yoast is that it not only tailors your target audience but will also help you determine if your content is reader friendly which is an SEO and ranking factor as well.
The other popular SEO Plugin is called, All In One SEO. This wordpress plugin is a simpler and easier to use than its competitor Yoast. Here below you will see its simplicity…
As you noticed in image above there are places where you enter your keywords, Custom Canonical URL, Robots Meta NOINDEX, Robots Meta NOFOLLOW, Robots Meta NOODP, Robots Meta NOYDIR And Disable (All In One SEO Plugin) on this page/post.
Keywords box – is where you will input your primary keyword and your secondary keywords will go.
Custom Canonical URL – Matt Cutts explains:
Q: So how do I make sure that Google picks the url that I want?
A: One thing that helps is to pick the url that you want and use that url consistently across your entire site. For example, don’t make half of your links go to http://example.com/ and the other half go to http://www.example.com/ . Instead, pick the url you prefer and always use that format for your internal links. Read more…
Robots Meta NOINDEX – Robots Meta NoIndex means that if you check this box then when Search Engines go to crawl your website this URL will not be indexed into their data centers.
Robots Meta NOFOLLOW – Robots Meta NoFollow means that search engines will not follow this link.
Here below is an explanation of what “noydir” and “noodp” are thanks to matthewsdiehl.com
When a site is listed in the Yahoo! Directory there is a title and description associated with that listing. So, Yahoo! started showing that title and description as the linking text and snippet text in the search engine results page (SERP) whenver that website would show up (most commonly only the homepage). The noydir command overrides this functionality and gives control back to the website owner to control the linking and snippet text in the SERPs via the Title tag and Meta Description tag on their website. By regaining this control you can adjust those fields whenever desired.
The same functionality goes for the noodp command. However, this is directed at Google. Google partnered with ODP to power the Google Directory so if your website was listed in DMOZ then Google would pull that listing information as the linking and snippet text in the Google SERPs. The noodp overrides that functionality and give you control back.
Disable on this page/post – If you check this box then your page or blog post will not use your All In One SEO Plugin parameters for SEO purposes.
Here are other wordpress plugins that I recommend using on your wordpress site and they are all Free:
- Askimet Plugin – Akismet is quite possibly the best way in the world to protect your blog from spam.
- AskApache Google 404 – Displays unbeatable information to site visitors arriving at a non-existent page (from a bad link). Major SEO with Google AJAX, Recent Posts, etc.. When people end up on your site through related search terms on your website or sometimes you’ve deleted a page or blog post and shows up as a 404 Not Found this Plugin will display a more search friendly page where your readers can choose from different content or related to their search and at the same time it improves your SEO.
- BackWPup Plugin – WordPress Backup Plugin backs up your website in case there is a server crash or if you by mistake delete something you really need it allows you to recover lost data.
- Broken Link Checker – Checks your blog for broken links and missing images and notifies you on the dashboard if any broken links are found. It is important that you keep track of this as Google will penalize your site for broken links and will affect your ranking too.
- Clicky for WordPress – The Clicky for WordPress plugin by Yoast makes it easy for you to add your Clicky analytics tracking code to your WordPress install, while also giving you some advanced tracking options.
- Google Plus Badge Widget – Google Plus Badge plugin allows you to quickly and easily add the new Google Plus badge widget to your blog WordPress site.
- Google Translate – Makes your website multilingual and available to the world using Google.
- Google XML Sitemaps – This plugin will generate a special XML sitemap which will help search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing and Ask.com to better index your blog. Tip: If you are using Yoast SEO WordPress Plugins it already includes Google XML Sitemaps so if you have this plugin installed it will conflict with Yoast Plugin, in this case just simply disable the plugin or deleted.
- Image Widget – A simple image widget that uses the native WordPress media manager to add image widgets to your site. You could also use it to place banners or pictures anywhere on your site including the side widgets.
- MailMunch – Increase your Email Subscribers by over 500%, Seriously! Collect email addresses from website visitors and grow your subscribers with our attention grabbing optin-forms, entry/exit intent technology, and other effective lead-generation forms like swinging exit popups. This has been one of my secrets to increasing email subscribers and clients. Very effective and highly recommended.
- Pinterest Pin It – A Button On Image Hovers And After Post & Page Content. When someone save the image to their Pinterest profile it will automatically be linked backPin Your WordPress Blog Posts Pages Images With Pinterest.
- Pretty Link Lite – Shrink, track and share any URL on the Internet from your WordPress website! This is a great plugin to mask affiliate links as well and use call to action description.
- Related Posts – Link to related content to help your readers. Get attention from other authors. Make great outbound links for SEO. With just a few clicks.
- RS FeedBurner – This plugin detects native WordPress feeds and redirects them to your FeedBurner, FeedPress, or FeedBlitz feeds so you can track your subscribers.
- Simple Share Buttons Adder – A simple plugin that enables you to add share buttons to all of your posts and/or pages.
- SocialAdr – The official SocialAdr.com WordPress plugin. Automatically create bookmarks in SocialAdr for your blog posts.
- StarBox – Starbox is the Author Box for Humans. Professional Themes to choose from, HTML5, Social Media Profiles, Google Authorship
- StatComm (StatPress Community) Multisite Edition – Powerful statistics & traffic for your blog. With Instant Spy Tool + Google Maps , Error Tracking & Report , Custom Actions & Filters, subplugins and more!!! Not sure if this plugin is available now since I tried to find it to add to another website I built. If not, get a stats plugin that gives you as much data as possible and use it to grow your business.
- WPSmush – Reduce image file sizes, improve performance and boost your SEO using the free WPMU DEV WordPress Smush API. This Plugin helps you save space on your hosting and compress images to minimize load time for your website.
- WP-SpamShield – An extremely powerful and user-friendly all-in-one anti-spam plugin thateliminates comment spam, trackback spam, contact form spam, and registration spam. No CAPTCHA’s, challenge questions, or other inconvenience to website visitors. Enjoy running a WordPress site without spam! Includes a spam-blocking contact form feature.
- WPtouch Mobile Plugin – First I recommend you get a mobile responsive theme for your site but if it is not mobile responsive than you can use WPTouch Mobile Plugine to make your website mobile-friendly with just a few clicks. Google has started penalizing websites for not being Mobile friendly.
- Yoast SEO – The first true all-in-one SEO solution for WordPress, including on-page content analysis, XML sitemaps and much more. I’ve also used All In One SEO Plugin and it is an awesome plugin but after using Yoast for a while even though it is a little more tedious but more powerful and effectively micromanaging my content to get the most out of each blog post and pages on my site.
These are some of the more valuable wordpress plugins I have found, tested and use on my blog site daily. There are other great wordpress plugins you could find and test on your site through the back office of your wordpress site.
If you would like to explore more about WordPress Plugins visit: WordPres.org
Just make sure to keep them updated and as always remember to write high quality and valuable content that readers love which always trumps everything else.
Remember the image above of Yoast SEO where all the red and orange circles on the left of the Content Analysis now look at the image below after optimizing the blog post to Yoast SEO specs. You will see where all the circles are now green and have passed all parameters to make it a great seo and search engine friendly blog post.
Hope you enjoyed the blog post and help you select the plugins that apply to your business. Let us know what other plugins you recommend…