When I first left the US Army and came back into the Civilian World as us military guys call it, I wondered what I was going to do. Quickly I went back to might roots of knowing and understanding automobiles and applied for a job as a car salesman. Ok, don’t judge me just yet :-).
I know some people have hard feelings about car salesman but hear me out. Once I started selling automobiles I studied the business from inside out and quickly moved up the ranks and moved into a Finance Manager and then a Sales Manager and things could not be any better.
What I didn’t understand is how the private sector worked. What I mean is, I was asked by upper management to train someone else on how to run the business not knowing that I was training my own replacement. One day I was called into the office and was told that, “My Services Were No Longer Required”.
After being left out in the cold and over 140K in debt I tried to figure out what I was going to do next. Then, I discovered to internet and started joining one opportunity after another and spending thousands of dollars I really didn’t have but then like lightning bolt I realized that I was going about it the wrong way to make any kind of income.
It took me a few years to figure it out but thanks to my perseverance and help of great friends and business acquaintances I discovered blogging and haven’t looked back since.
As I read another PR here recently it made me realize how important it can be for someone looking to get started online and/or build a blog from scratch. This is why I decided to write this post in the hope many can benefit and use it to create their own niche site or vent their passion or hobby to the world.
So, What does it take to build a blog from scratch ?
* The first thing is market research. You can use a tool like Google Keyword Tool to do your research absolutely free. This tool gives you, What your market is searching for via keyword and keyword phrases, how much competition you have and what keywords to use in your content when making blog posts.
* The second thing you should get but not necessary if your starting out on a tight budget. This is getting a Domain Name. A Domain Name to have the best chance of ranking a getting found on the top search engines should include your main keyword. This keyword should be the one with the most searches and least competition.
* The third thing you need is a hosting account. There are many hosting registrars like; Hostgator.com, 1and1.com, Bluehost.com and many others. I have personally used Hostgator to build over 25 sites and have had a very pleasant experience with them and their support is awesome too. If you go the free way of building a site then I recommend WordPress.com or Blogger.com. These two platforms are the more popular ones but I favor WordPress because of it’s simplicity and how powerful this platform is in it’s versatility with the thousands of Themes and Plugins at your disposal.
* The Fourth thing that I highly recommend getting is an Autoresponder like; Aweber, Verticle Response, iContact and MailChimp. I have personally been using Aweber for years but any will do. If you want to go with a free service then MailChimp is great. Why do you need an Autoresponder you might ask ? Because, ” The Money Is In The List “. If you are going to have any success online then you need to build your emailing list so you can nurture and stay in touch with your subscribers and more importantly make continuous sales from your list over and over again as long as you provide solid, high quality products that they will benefit and keep coming back for more.
* The last thing and very important is, Your Blog Content. Your content should be unique and of high quality if you want your readers to come back to your blog. If you are not a writer then or don’t know how to start your content, don’t worry. You will develop your skills as you go along and the truth is that people like content that is natural and not made up or stolen from elsewhere. Later you can outsource this if you wish.
*** Note: When starting a blog from scratch it is important to keep in mind your SEO ( Search Engine Optimization ). Make sure that you figure out what your keywords are and use them in your content sparingly and do not stuff your content with keywords. Make sure that you use your keywords in your Meta Tags, Your Site Description, Your H1, H2 Tags too.
Take advantage of Social Media and it’s power to share your content and create a following. Hope you enjoy this post, share it and share your comments.
Join Our Newsletter to get a lot of great information to take your business online or to the next level.
Always Aim High!
To Your Blogging Success,